Judge Feedback

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Jan 12 10:24:53 AKST 2005

Earl, I think you have some good points. But I want to point out two issues relating to your comments.

1. The marks on the score sheet that Lance suggested were to facilitate evaluation *after* the round, not during the round.

2. Your point about the coach working with the pilot at the practice fields has great merits, but it doesn't take into account that not everyone has experienced pattern fliers to practice with, and even those that do fly with other pattern fliers can benefit from input from more experienced pilots at contests.

Since you're an FAI pilot and you work with guys at your field you're coming from the viewpoint that sportsman pilots can get expert advice if they look for it at practice. But how are those that don't have top (or any) pattern pilots at their home field ever supposed to improve if they don't get feedback at contests?

If your answer is "their caller", then I'd point out that most lower level fliers aren't fortunate enough to have top level pilots call for them if they don't fly with them at practice. I've seen many less experienced pilots calling for each other. Also, the top fliers are often judging. Think about it this way, how many sportsman or intermediate pilots, that aren't in your club, do you call for at contests, and how much feedback do you give them? If these guys don't get feedback from someone how will they ever improve?

I personally very much appreciate input from judges on things they noticed me doing wrong. Especially when it's something I'm doing wrong again and again and don't realize.

Keith Black