adding interest to Sportsman - judging / mentoring

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Tue Jan 11 18:59:13 AKST 2005

I wrote an article in the KF a few months back that described a simple
shorthand notation one can use on the scoresheet to describe the main
reasons for downgrade.  This can really help any later conversation, both
with details and in reminding you what you saw.  Not everyone wants
feedback.  It pays to find out beforehand.  Using a simple notation like
this is not that hard when judging sportsman because the manuvers really
focus on one or two main elements and there are decent gaps between.
   Feedback can be a touchy subject and I'm glad when people appreciate it.
The only reason a judge would give feedback is to help.  My feeling is that
in any class feedback is necessary in order to improve, but it seems we shy
away from this in upper classes.  An 8 to one judge is a 6 to another.  What
did they see to downgrade?  Just getting 8s is not enough feedback.
Sometimes you know exactly what you did wrong, but a lot of times you don't
and you would benefit to know where you lost 2 points.
 --Lance