Sportsman revisited / Growing Pattern

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Mon Jan 10 16:30:41 AKST 2005

Guys,
 Here are some (more) ideas regarding Sportsman and new pattern pilots. If
you're sick of this then don't read, but if not...
The two obvious threats to membership in the NSRCA are:
1. Losing current members.
2. NOT finding new ones.

I can add some insight into problem #2 -
Before we condemn the current Sportsman pattern and invest time trying to
build a new one, give this some thought. If you want to increase interest in
pattern, the first thing that needs to be done is make the NSRCA a little
bit more noticeable to the aero-modeling community in general. I can't speak
for all of the country, but in my area (CT) almost no one has heard of
pattern. Seriously. About 15 years ago this wasn't the case, but right now,
that's how it is. When I do meet a pattern flyer they're usually older than
me and remember the good old days but can't find anyone to fly with or any
contests to go to. It took me a while to find out about you guys and I was
LOOKING. The LHS owner thought pattern was some type of racing. Everyone is
either flying Park Flyers or 3D. Luckily I got a hold of a K-Factor and a D1
contest schedule or I would still be flying my Kaos at the baseball field.
The Pattern Primers are a VERY GOOD THING!!! We need more of them, or
something like them. A lot of people are a little bit afraid to go to a
"real" contest. Remember, pattern still has a certain aura surrounding it
that intimidates beginners. When you leave your first Pattern Primer, you
know where you stand. You either go home and practice or you give up. Maybe
there needs to be a follow-up of some kind if someone doesn't come back. Get
enough information from Pattern Primer entrants so that someone can call
them if they don't show up at any more contests. Extra work yes, but this
might provide some answers. Right now we're guessing at a lot of things. I
honestly don't think the Sportsman schedule is at fault. Could it be better?
Maybe. Does it need to be? Maybe not. Since we don't need to submit any rule
changes until September (is this correct?) why don't we use the time to
gather some more information. Maybe put some more of those poles up on RCU.
Ask the general public what they think about the Sportsman schedule and
entering a pattern contest. They're the ones we're trying to attract. In the
meantime, anyone who is working with people that plan on attending their
first contest this season, try to assess their progress and what is giving
them the most trouble. Then we'll have some real life answers instead of
guessing. I don't think there's any ONE thing that we can do to improve
things immediately. It is a complicated problem, but as with anything
complicated it can usually be broken down into small elements. Fix as many
as possible. It won't happen overnight but it WILL happen if we work
together. I don't want to see pattern disappear from the AMA rule book and I
don't think anyone else does either. Sportsman is the seed that keeps
pattern alive. OK so it's not the prettiest thing to watch sometimes, but we
all have to start somewhere.

As far as problem #1 - I think I've already invited enough criticism. I'll
leave that to someone higher up on the food chain...

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com

---