Technology and Paticipation

MKMSG at aol.com MKMSG at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 14:14:36 AKST 2005

The issue of whether a battery is primarily fuel, or primarily a fuel tank
can be debated endlessly with opinions on both sides of the fence.  The
biggest difference in my mind is that the "fuel" and the "tank" cannot be  separated
in a battery while they can in glow/gas powered models.   Consequently,
batteries and glow fuel/tanks are the same in one sense, but  different in
another....which is why the rules need to be clarified.  Any  good, current 2 meter
pattern design can be built and flown with an OS 140 for  example, and make
weight.  I don't think the same can be said for  electric.  A model that starts
out on the heavy side can present a  very difficult problem when it comes to
shedding ounces to make the 11 lb weigh  limit.  I'm glad Jerry Budd has
volunteered to generate something for  pattern flyers to review and discuss relative
to the rules.  Perhaps there  is some medium ground that can be attained to
resolve the issue.  And by  the way, I was one of the Omaha bunch to watch Jerry
practice before the  Nats.  The Partner was impressive.

Mike Moritko