adding interest and complexity to Sportsman ... again and again and

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Jan 8 22:23:23 AKST 2005

Sportsman needs to be maintained as the entry class to Pattern events and
overcomplicating it will not be a step in the right direction. I feel same as
Steve that it's about right in complexity. I would add that it should  remain
unchanged for a consiiderable amount of time (pick a period--10 years is  a
nice round number)

Rationale for long time period before changes (if ever):  Pilots seldom stay
in the class more than two years so the ones that move on,  see a fresh
schedule regardless. The ones that drop, well, it makes little  difference to them.
It would serve virtually no purpose to change this  schedule

Rationale for keeping the sequence "simple": A friend of  mine has tried to
get into pattern competition for a couple years now. He is a  very good sport
flier, can 3D his 1/3 scale aerobats just fine and knows some  construction
technique, engine maintenance and radio  diagnostics already.

But the demands of pattern planes are different and he has had to  overcome
several issues.  After a couple of years of frustration and  perseverence, he
has started to practice in earnest. He has commented to me  how difficult the
"simple" Sportsman schedule is. I admire his perseverence;  most would have
quit.

Point is, many Sportsmen face alot issues with fundamentals that  the other
classes have learned to overcome. Their learning curve is  vertical already.
Lets leave the complicated stuff for the higher classes. The  Sportsmen who move
on, will see that soon enough.

MattK

In a message dated 1/9/2005 12:29:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,