.now Challenge!

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Thu Jan 6 19:50:09 AKST 2005

Ahh patience Ryan san, all will be revealed soon. I would say imagine a cross bewteen a Partner, Patriot, and a Typhoon 2000. Confusing no? Well, it looks sweet. One other person has seen it, I wonder if he'll chime in?

4 years ago I couldn't design a lick, and had never built anything but a kit. Let me offer you this advice: DO IT. Just do it, even if it's wrong. Believe me by the time you're finished, you'll know EXACTLY what you did wrong. Then you make some changes and do another.....and another....and they get better and better hopefully. If you build enough, you'll build a dog. You'll also build that magic one, where everything fits the first time, everything lines up without tweaking, and it's lighter than you even hoped. But you'll never see that glorious plane until you jump in and just build planes.

If you ask Tom, he'll send you pics. He sent me some of his older Merlin a couple of years ago, and I was blown away by the guys work. It drove me to create my current plane I'm flying, and that drove me to do the one that's now in the shop.

Between guys like Tom, Matt K, Bryan Hebert, and even some guys at my local field, they all drove me to push myself and convince myself I can do it. Sure I haven't been immune to the poo-pooers who think my stuff is crap, and it's hard to swallow when you put that much work into something. It stings, I don't care how thick your skin is. But then you remember why you do it, because you'll have a feeling they never will: you created a piece of art that flies.

Do it do it do it! And you already know this, but any way I can help just ask. Even if it's just to bounce ideas off me, I have a couple of people I do that to myself. Nobody knows everything, that's why you ask and experiment and research. Then you test, make notes, and start over. Enjoy the journey, don't get too worked up about the destination.

Just my 2 cents.

-Mike