adding interest and complexity to Sportsman ... again and again and

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Jan 6 12:13:38 AKST 2005

On Jan 6, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Dean Pappas wrote:

>  Oh yes, 3 rolls is infinitely more useful for teaching "elevator
> timing" than 2.  You can fake it for 2, but the 3rd one requires that
> the plane be under control after 2.
> Hey Ron van Putte ... you out there?
> Tell the man about the time the Earth shook in Lake Charles!

Yes, I'm here.  What Dean referred to here was my infamous crash at the
Nats.  This was back in the days when some radios were having 3rd order
IM problems.  I was on the center line of three lines along the same
runway.  I was flying a JR Century 7 on channel 40.  We started the
day's flying with the guy two ahead of me crashing on channel 40.  The
next guy went up, also on channel 40, and he crashed too.  I went up
and the radio failed to respond as my airplane was vertical in a
reverse Cuban 8 as I was setting up to enter the pattern.  It went in
absolutely vertical directly in front of the flightline to my left.  I
handed the pin to the guy behind me and said, "Let's see what kind of
ba!!s you have".  He wisely refused to fly.  When I got to the other
flightline to retrieve the wreckage, Dave Brown said to me, "Your
engine never sounded better!"  I guess Dean was there too.

Ron Van Putte