Temperatures acceptable for equipment while flying.....?

Tom Simes nsrca at shinymetalass.com
Thu Jan 6 09:23:47 AKST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:29:28 -0500
"Dean Pappas" <d.pappas at kodeos.com> wrote:

> Hi Lance,
> What plugs are in the engine?
> I have seen plenty of engines quit abruptly, most often at
> mid-throttle, because the plug was too cold. One Sport flyer at the
> filed had an ENYA 50CX he was going to take a hammer to, until I put
> an Enya #3 plug in it ... all because he didn't belive in spending
> more than $3 for a glo-plug. Great running engine, now. Nitro helps,
> too. Regards,

Interesting, I may have been getting lucky and not realized it.  I'm
running 20% nitro and an OS #A3 plug which according to my understanding
is a bit hotter than the standard OS #8.  I can attest to the plug
making a huge difference in the way my Magnum .15 runs in my combat
plane - changing from an OS #8 to a hotter Duratrax silver car plug in
that engine literally saved it from being tossed.  I've actually lowered
the idle a bit on my .46 for winter flying so the plane will sit still
on ice at idle.

Here are a couple of good links on glow plugs:

http://www.excelsiorweb.com/rcair/glowplug.asp
http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/glowplugs.asp

There's another really well done article by a heli pilot who just wrote
up his personal quest for info but I can't find it right now.  I have it
printed out at home and will try to find and post the link later if
folks are interested.  Before my experience with the little Magnum, I
hadn't given much though to glow plugs but the right plug in that engine
made a night and day difference.  Since then I've been paying a bit more
attention to the plugs I run and evaluating them with a tach just like I
do props.

--
Tom

       |  ,  |               Tom Simes