Temperatures acceptable for equipment while flying.....?

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Wed Jan 5 05:37:56 AKST 2005

Hi Chris,
              My rule of thumb is to not fly pattern stuff below 40F on the ground. Batteries don't last too long when you get up there and it is below 32F in the air. Different expansion and contraction rates between materials and glue joints, for me, are a real cause for concern. Stuff does get brittle, even engine mounts and "plastic" spinners.

You do see significant trim changes due to the fuselage getting shorter. Also pull-pull wires can get too taught, stab tubes loosen and engine mixes go way off.

I will fly wooden planes when it gets cold but not the FG stuff.

Regards,

Eric.