Sequence Poll Results

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Sun Jan 2 19:15:40 AKST 2005

This paints a pretty clear picture (Thanks Eric) and supports what someone said earlier....That the masters pattern can and does serve multiple purposes (and that none of the masters fliers wish to fly an old FAI sequence)

It's a building block for those en route to the next class.

It's challenging enough on it's own merit to serve as a destination class for many (possibly most).

Given both of those, it seems that some obvious things need to follow...

The sequence needs to change frequently for BOTH purposes.  For those in Masters as a destination...the change provides a freshness critical to maintaining interest levels.  For those passing through...the change needs to reflect SOME...key word SOME of the challenges that are currently facing FAI.

Let's face it...The ENTIRE program is more difficult today than it use to be.  The intermediate pattern flown today is FAR more difficult than the advanced pattern I flew pre-turnaround.   Today's advanced sequence would easily challenge several of the older Masters sequences.  So yes, FAI is raising the bar and expecting others to follow.  NOT simply to make things harder...but because it's REQUIRED to seperate the playing field.  As the pilots get better...so needs the challenge.  If we think the judging is a problem now...imagine all the current top 10 FAI pilots competing with the Advanced sequence...try to pick a winner out of that crop...7 way tie for 1st...3 way tie for second...(and that's assuming 3 of them had mechanical failure...)