Weight, Wing loading, power loading, etc... (Re: Re: Weight rules discussion ( my opinion))

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 27 08:19:19 AKST 2005

More power is almost always good.  More power with a proportional increase
in weight is usually bad (if for no other reason the noise level goes up).

A better power to weight ratio is always good and what we really want - and
that is why the favored powerplants in pattern are the ones with the highest
power to weight ratios (and generally cost the most).

Wing loading -
- planes with light wing loadings typically fly nicely over a much broader
speed range - put another way, they handle extra weight better when the
plane slows down (likely because the ideal amount of power is not available
because of the extra weight of the plane).
- wing loading is always a compromise - high wing loadings are better for
snaps, spins, and but not as good for flying relatively slow.
- Very high power to weight ratios minimize the change in speed in different
flight regimes - allowing a relatively higher wing loading with less
detriments.  This is exactly why the trend in new designs has been to
smaller wings - the power to weight ratio has gone up, allowing a higher
wing loading to fly nicely.  And the wings have also gotten smaller to
maintain the same wingloading as the number of composite (lighter) planes
has increased.

I would never add weight (except as an experiment) to my plane to increase
the wing loading (even tho the increased wing loading might be an overall
benefit) because it would decrease the power to weight ratio.  I would
instead reduce the wing area - increasing the wing loading, and increasing
the power to weight ratio.  Yup, I've done this - I intentionally built my
Dash Five (years ago) with clipped wingspan (down to about 800 squ from
830), and then subsequently chopped several inches off the span to improve
snaps and spins (down to abou 770 squ).  Power to weight ratio was a
non-issue - The warmed up Webra 60 spinning a 13x13 at 9300 pulled the 7.5
lb with no problems whatsoever.  More recently, I clipped the wings on the
EMCs I flew several years ago - the first I clipped from 1150 to about 1115,
and the 2nd was clipped to 1100 (10.75 lb planes).  I probably would have
clipped a bit more, but at that time, I thought the wing would look a little
too stubby.  Probably not an issue with current designs.

Dave