Weight limit discussion

Mark Hunt flyintexan at houston.rr.com
Fri Feb 25 20:36:57 AKST 2005

It seems to me (my perception only) that we are witnessing an age of pattern that actually seems very accessible by a new pattern flyer.  Never have I seen so many quality (and cheap) ARF's available that are really capable flyers for 401, 402, and 403...perhaps 404 as well...heck, Chuck showed all how it's done here in Dist. 6 with an inexpensive 120size ARF and an OS 4stroke!

I think that at the local contest level, weight is not, and should not be, a big issue in the lower classes.  Once you're up to the 404 dancefloor it's time to play by the rules...all of them.  At the NAT's level, the rules will be, and should be, enforced through all classes.

I was still a kid when the YS came out with a 120, but I do remember my dad was trying to stay with all the big spenders in the Northeast of the US with his Tiger Tails, Blue Angels, etc., so I do remember somewhat that the motors were the limiting $$$ factor....hence, a good motor was very expensive (comparatively)..think of the first time you saw the price of a YS120.  Now weight is the real limiting factor....so a big, light airframe is $$$$ and motor options are much more plentiful.  Pushing the limiting factor, whatever it may be at the time, will cost money.  I feel that battery technology will (and already has) overcome it's own weight issues.  It seems that the only power options we are lacking right now are a 32oz. Gas motor and perhaps fuel cells???  As strange as it sounds, I feel that we are nearing a nice growth spurt in pattern simply due to the low costs now to get involved in the lower classes.

sorry for the rant,
Mark