Weight limit discussion

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 07:01:26 AKST 2005

Dave
In answer to the following parts of your post (had to split it up to big  for
the list to handle)

Raise the weight limit in pattern, and the 2x2m  monoplane will get bigger
and more costly (and the most competitive examples  will still probably be under
11 lbs, but the "average" plane won't  be).
So far this is my point exactly. If we are to make AMA pattern an  inclusive
event we in my opinion must include the average competitor. Those who  have
higher aspirations will do what they must to achieve perfection and a  weight
rule change will have little effect on those who aspire to compete  on a higher
level.

Raise the weight limit in pattern while leaving  unlimited displacement and
the 2x2m box, and the 2x2m monoplane will no longer  be the most competive
design - the most competitive design will be a purpose  designed pattern bipe that
will be substantially more expensive (money, time,  maintenance) than the
current day designs.

If you don't think a purpose design pattern bipe  would be the best, ask
Chip.  He will tell you without reservation he  would not have flown his Double
Visions in the past few years if he did not  think it was the best plane.

Yes, but you also need to consider the level of  competition and his goals.
Lets face it Chip is playing to the world in  an arena composed of
professionals making him a member of an  exclusive group that for the most part excludes
the rank and file of  pattern. Here again I believe AMA pattern should be
structured to  attract all of the rank and file while affording those who aspire to
greatness  the opportunity to compete on a higher level without effecting or
excluding those who make up the core of the pattern community or those who
interested in joining it

Buddy