Question on Bearing change out

Tom Simes nsrca at shinymetalass.com
Mon Feb 21 07:15:07 AKST 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:42:17 -0900
"Michael Laggis" <fishgod at pobox.mtaonline.net> wrote:

> Thanks Dave, Bob.  After I asked the question I went to
> bocabearing.com and they said basically do them like the factory.
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Michael Laggis
> AKA Moose Boy
> NSRCA 3618
> http://www.alaskarc.org

When I did my first set of bearings, I took a close look at edges of the
shield material and thought it looked too thick to be pierced with an
awl and removed per Boca's instructions.  I was pretty worried about
damaging the bearings or races but in the end I sharpened the awl to a
fine point, took a deep breath and it worked like a charm.  I didn't try
to measure it afterwards, but I believe the shields may be thicker on
the retaining edge than in the area actually covering the bearings.  By
the way, I'm running Boca's stainless rears with both shields removed
and leak stop stainless fronts with both seals intact.

Which reminds me - I need to get an order off for the combat plane and
my ST .75...

At the time I suggested to Boca that a few pictures of the procedure
would definately ease the pucker factor the first time folks do this.

--
Tom

       |  ,  |               Tom Simes
        --|--                NSRCA 3830