[SPAM] RE: [SPAM] Re: Pipe Life Questions

Buff Miller fmiller2 at sc.rr.com
Mon Feb 21 05:51:29 AKST 2005

Hey Bill,

How are you doing?

Good question.  I meant to put that info in the original message.  I'm not
sure just how many flights were on the pipe.  The way we like to put in
these parts; is "there were a ton of flights on it".   I'll be a little more
specific, at least two solid years.  I bought the engine and pipe from Earl
at the beginning of 2004 and flew it all last season.  Earl bought it brand
new in late 2002 or early 2003, I'm not sure.  But he put some serious time
on it in 2003 in preparation for the 2003 Nats.  He then continued to use it
for the remainder of 2003.  So, how many flights is that?  Your guess is as
good as mine, has to well over 500, probably a whole lot more, I really
don't know.

Since I started this thread I've been thinking a lot about solvents and
pipes, particularly the flow capacity of pipes.  I think I can make a strong
recommendation to everyone now and that is; baseline the flow capacity of
your pipe before you ever use it.  This can be done very simply by filling
it up with water and then timing how long it takes to empty itself.  Do this
several times, up to a dozen, to get an average.  Record this information in
a safe place so when you think your engines performance is beginning to
wane, do a flow test again and match the new rates against the old.  This is
cheap, easy way to know what you're dealing with.  Kind'a like what the big
boys do to know what the flow capacity of their automotive cylinder heads
is.

As far as solvents, last night I soaked the pipe in water.  Yep, another
Earl idea.  I tell you when the man speaks, I listen.  You never know, it
just might work. Anyhow today (it's raining outside anyway, so what else is
there to do) I plan to flush it with hot soapy water and watch to see what
kind of crud comes out.  Next, on the solvent list is; Mineral Spirits, then
maybe your Gumout, or Bob Richards paint remover, or ..

See you at the Beach!

Buff

  _____