Mid Air Question

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Wed Feb 16 11:02:38 AKST 2005

On Feb 16, 2005, at 1:34 PM, <bdbd at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Here is what I don't get.  Most of these midairs were at competitions.
> It would seem to me that the competition coordinator/ manager would
> set up the flight lines where there is no interference from multiple
> planes. It would seem to me that if the coordinator was held
> accountable for these midairs there would be alot fewer incidents. If
> I am flying a $2000 + bird I would make dern sure that my plane was in
> no jepardy of a mid air.  These planes are way to expensive to become
> combat models. If I wanted to fly combat I would choose a much cheaper
> and more durable plane.  Why don't we spend more time trying to make
> the events safer and less money and time building combat planes.

First, midairs at contests are not common.  While I agree that any
midair is costly, there are other costs to consider.  Most fields are
not conducive to having two flightlines set up such there there would
be no interference between airplanes.  If a contest is held with only
one flightline, either the number of entries would have to be limited
or the number of rounds would have to be limited.  For example, if
contest management was able to have eight hours of competition flying
on Saturday and five on Sunday, based on an average of 10 minutes per
flight, there would be 78 flights possible over the two days.  If you
have six rounds, there could be no more than 13 contestants.  If you
had 26 contestants, there could be no more than three rounds.

Clubs need to at least break even to convince club members to support
hosting a contest.  More contestants are better for the club.
Contestants want to fly as many rounds as possible, since they spend
the same amount of money to travel to the contest and pay for entry
fees, motel charges and meals, no matter the number of rounds.

So, there are shared risks in flying contests with two flightlines, but
both the host club and contestants benefit in the long run.

Ron Van Putte