[SPAM] Re: Moki 180

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Wed Feb 16 06:45:45 AKST 2005

Ron:
I've been quite happy with mine; they have always started very easily
and run well.  I've heard all these stories about pumping/regulating
them etc. but I honestly don't know why one would need to do so, other
than a defective setup in the first place.  I just run muffler pressure.
Now, fuel:
I experimented with some 15% that I run in my Y.S.engines.  As the Moki
neared full throttle, I could plainly hear it rattling.  (with my
hearing, that in itself is a minor miracle.)  So, I drained the 15% and
put in some 5% that I happened to have.  Ran well, but after it heated
up, I could detect some detonation.  So, I drained out the 5% and put in
some FAI that I had been using.  Not only did the detonation cease, but
I picked up some 400 rpm.  I was curious, so I called Gerrard,
(importer, at that time.)  Jim said that I wasn't dreaming; the engine
was designed for FAI fuel, and that they absolutely would recommend no
more than 5% fuel, and that to be used only in the winter to help
starting.  I don't remember numbers, but I do remember that it will idle
for 5 minutes at 1800 rpm, and then immediately accelerate to full
throttle when asked.  That's Jim Gerrard's criterion.  I'm not sure my
Y.S. engines will do that.  Since I've gotten so heavily into pattern, I
have done very little with anything else.  So, the information is
probably a year old.  The Moki's are in (Individually, of course<G>) a
Midwest Extra 300 which weighs 14 lb. 4 ozs.  and I use a Mesjlik 20-10
prop.  This is the only airplane I have ever owned that will truly go
out of sight straight up, (John Ferrell was a witness on this!) and will
do a true, round knife-edge loop.  And, with the recommended Bisson
muffler, I get quite a few comments about how quiet the airplane is.  It
sounds mellow, but I've never Db'd it.  Fun to own and fly?  You bet! :-)
HTH
Bill Glaze