140 FZ Prop Size

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Sun Feb 13 06:22:49 AKST 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 9:01 AM, Dowayne Gould wrote:

> Would the 16-10 prop recommendation apply to a 140 sport also?
> The model is a 2m Viper.

I think the 1.40FZ, the 140L and the 140 Sport end up being almost the
same engine.  The 140L was an "improvement" on the 140FZ, in which the
compression ratio was increased for more power.  Unfortunately, the
compression ratio was raised so high that most of them suffered from
detonation problems and pilots added head gaskets to lower the
compression ratio.  That made the modified 140Ls about the same as the
140FZ.  From what I understand, the production molds for the 140L
eventually became so worn that they had to produce new molds.  They
decided to change the name to the 140 Sport at the same time.  Any
comments from those who know "what really happened"?

Ron Van Putte