Linear output - was Notes to Self 3

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 09:51:32 AKST 2005

Yeah, but my Dad HATES expo, doesn't even use it with 3D throws!  He is such
a smooth flyer, and uses fingers rather than thumbs,  that he doesn't need
it, He wants control response, RIGHT NOW!  So how well his breakout force
works other peoples flying is debatable.  When he was still a regular on the
pattern circuit, he did spend a lot of time playing with stick lengths and
tension. He also wouldn't use anything but open gimbol sticks because
nothing else, at the time, felt right to him.

I use some expo, which drives him nuts when he flies my planes.  And my high
rates are his low rates.  I tried flying with his throws, and no expo, but
I'm not smooth enough to do it. We usually end up having different setups
for the same airplane if we are going to trade off a lot. I run my sticks up
as stiff as I can get them.  He still likes stiff springs, so at least we
share that.

I will say that virtually every new transmitter I pick up has the springs
set way to soft for my tastes.  It is too easy to get unintended control
inputs.  I tell budding pattern flyers (and I am one of them) to stiffen up
their springs, and everyone of them has liked the feel better.  I had a
Futaba 9C for awhile, and the stock springs at max tensions were still way
too soft, so I bought Futaba's "heavy duty" springs, and ran them up to full
stiff.  Still too soft.  If I'd kept it, I'd put on some Radio South
springs.  A lady in our club, who is trying out pattern, has a low end JR
computer radio.  The stock springs in that thing were even softer than the
9c, and couldn't be adjusted much stiffer.  She sent her transmitter off to
Radio South and got stiff springs, and she is much happier, since she isn't
getting the cross inputs. She was very frustrated before, because we could
see she was putting in some unintended inputs, but she swore she wasn't.  If
the manufacturers would stiffen up the springs from the factory, I think it
would help almost every flyer fly better.

Now don't tell my Dad that I questioned his tastes!  ;)

Jon Lowe