Rules Survey Bigger cheaper?

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Feb 9 08:22:27 AKST 2005

I think all of this discussion on weight is a moot point, except for the NATS. I've never had my plane weighed anywhere except the NATS, and I've never heard of any local contest doing it. I've never even seen a scale at a contest.  Are there any local contests that weigh planes? Would anyone even question whether a plane met the weight rule or not, unless it was obvious?

The top designs (the ones that everyone want) will have to be designed to meet the rule, since winning a national or world contest is the desire of every designer.  But if someone builds one a little over the limit, no local contest is going to exclude them from flying.  If we up the limit, then the top designs will push that weight envelope, and the cycle repeats. Today's planes will be (in people's minds) obsolete.

After being out of pattern for a few years, I recently attended a contest as a spectator. I really liked what I saw. I think it is as inexpensive and easy as ever to get into pattern with a competitive bird. Leave the rules alone. For the kit designers, engine makers, radio companies, and us.  A moving target is harder to hit.

When all is said and done, it still comes down to practice and skill. If all we had to fly were Ugly Sticks, we would all be just as competitive with each other. And we might just have more fun!