Notes to Self 3

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Wed Feb 9 08:01:24 AKST 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 8:28 AM, Tim Taylor wrote:

> As our Continuing story unfolds........
>
> Timmy T is looking out of the shop door and sees that the weather is
> just perfect for some trim flights
>
> So we pack up the trailer and go for some trim flights. Recalling
> the last flights  all control throws too sensitive so I dial in less
> rates on low and put high rates to what low was before. Ok time to
> dial in some Expo on all surfaces, pop up the screen on the 9303 and
> dial in 30%. Ok time to fly. Airplane seems pretty stable now but the
> controls feel a bit "Twitchy" hmmm no problem continue the flight land
> and have a look. Ok maybe I didn't get enough expo dialed in so add
> some more. Next flight about the same but the controls seem a bit more
> "twicthy" hmmm something's not right here. Ok times up for flying for
> today pack up and head home. On the way home I get to thinking about
> the last flight and how the airplane changed the "feel" after I added
> the expo. Ok I get to wondering where the heck did I put the book for
> this new radio, Ok lets review the book on page A20 is the expo
> directions, it states "NOTE: Use only positive percentages unless
> there is a distinct need to do otherwise". Hmmmmmm that don't sound
> right! Turn the transmitter on and look at the expo I've got dialed
> into the radio, *&%^$*&#)(#&%^%)@(_*&_(^#  Everything is done to the
> NEGATIVE !!!!!! No damn wonder! So "Note to self" today's lesson is
> READ THE FRIGGIN BOOK !!!!!!!!!
>
> Ok while I'm at it lets program a little down elevator  trim at low
> idle, I wonder what page that is on in the book..................
> "Fade to Black as Timmy T reaches for the book."

My guess is that he's using a JR radio, because negative exponential is
what you want on a Futaba transmitter to soften the control response.
That's why well-meaning people at the field need to find out what brand
of transmitter the guy being counseled has before telling him how to
change the expo.

I had a similar situation when I was helping a novice trim out his
airplane.  After I flew a trim flight for him, I told him he needed 50
- 60% exponential on elevator and aileron.  I asked him if he knew how
to do that and he said that he did.  The airplane was a handful on the
subsequent flight, because he put in the wrong expo!

Ron Van Putte