[SPAM] Re: *SPAM* Re: Rules Survey

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 19:09:38 AKST 2005

Bill,

When it comes to this topic, a lot can be learned from the history of the event.  The limiting can be done with weight, displacement, or dimensions.  The 5 or 10% of top competitors/designers/innovators have always aggressively pushed right to one or more of the limits - and the majority of others in the event follow as fast as they can afford to - that is the very nature of competition.  Without going into a comprehensive review of historical rule changes and the effects, I'd strongly suggest the best way to limit size/expense is with displacement (of course electrics throw a big wrench into that one).  Simple FACT - Without exception, every single time a limit has been removed or raised, the average cost of the plane on the flightline at a pattern contest has gone up.

For a long time, the 2x2m limit was meaningless because it wasn't the factor that limited the size of the planes.  The 2x2m limit has a limited impact (and no, that is not a CompArf Impact on a diet) on the size of the planes today - most are at 2m length, but few are at 2m wingspan. For a long time, the displacement was the only real limit - and when that was recklessly thrown away, the planes got bigger (and more expensive) in response to the available power.  Now the limiting factor is weight.  Throw that away (or raise it) and the planes will get bigger again (and more expensive).  How much bigger?  Depends on how high the weight limit is raised.

At 12 lbs - The guys that don't build light will have the same stuff that is marginally over 11 lbs.  And some guys will stuff Moki's into pattern planes and find out they don't fly really well with heavier engines that they were not designed for.  And both will be at a disadvantage because you will see some HUGE monoplanes with DA50s that make the current day stuff look infinitely affordable.  Double Vision Bipes that are not fragile will be easy to do (an a major PITA to transport back and forth to the field, assemble, maintain, etc).  Fragile bipes bigger than the Double Vision will arrive on the seen.  Under Chips watchful eye, I put a few minutes on one of the Double Vision Bipes a while back - maybe it isn't an advantage in Sportsman, Intermediate, Advanced, or even Masters.  But in a sequence full of rolling circles, rolling loops, and integrated loop/roll segments, it is an advantage (as long as the horsepower is available, which it would be if the weight limit went up).  And what wins the top class, is what the majority will shift to.  The reason the Double Vision has not caught on more in pattern yet, is because the plane is fragile at 11 lbs, and it does require a strong powerplant to adequately power the plane (especially at 94 db).

If no weight limit - How about a 30% Ultimate style Bipe - give or take 70" span, 78" long, 1700 squ, and maybe 20 lbs???  Anyone who doesn't have a deeper checkbook, full sized stretch van or model model trailer, and model trailer will be at a disadvantage.  Check some IMAC kits - the numbers jive.  Minimally you will be adding 4 more servos (to maintain pattern standards of servo power to surface), and a monster cost increase in engine, muffler, softmount, prop, spinner for your DA50 or GT80 twin.  Increased cost of the kit, building, transporting, setup, and maintenance should be obvious enough.

Something that I think that has been overlooked in this thread is the "fourth" limiting factor in our event - noise - 96 db for AMA, 94 db for FAI.  In my opinion, 94 db is the real number because any manufacturer who wants to sell to the pattern market is going to want to be able to market/target FAI.  Displacement unchecked equals more noise.  Heavier planes require more power which equals more noise.  Unless of course additional money is spent on exhaust systems to keep things quiet.  And more and more the prop noise is diminished by going to 3 or 4 blade props (quieter, but less efficient, so now more power is needed again).  Very few large displacement sport engines (gas or glow) are equal to or quieter than a pattern setup (and most YS DZs running in their power band are also above 94 db) because of the larger displacement and larger diameter prop (increased tip speed).  Add up the costs for the quality exhaust systems, softmounts, and props to keep the DA50 quiet and I think you'll find a 140RX to be quite cheap.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net