*SPAM* Re: Rules Survey

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Tue Feb 8 12:21:27 AKST 2005

Here comes the dreaded weight debate again....

Consider this-Anyone in the upper level classes would not be too smart to
have a plane heavier than it needs to be.  But, lets pretend there is a
hot new Sportsman named uh lets see..... Chuck. Chuck tears up 401 after 3
contests, and he is flying his best airplane that most FAI guys would
consider a toy (and I do not mean the "foamie toys" pictured in last
months Model Aviation being held by  a guy named "Chuck")  and so moving
up to Intermediate halfway thru his first season, last 3 contests were
quite a challenge, BUT he places in 402 anyway!
In the off season, he saves his pennies, keeps his wife happy and gets a
used REAL pattern plane, built by someone who has a slight heavy hand, and
alas it weighs 11.5 lbs. Now this here Chuck is good and pumped up and I
would place money that this theoretical person could place at the NATS,
but his plane is over weight!!!!! one more !

Sorry Chuck, even though you are flying at a disadvantage, we will not let
you play at the NATS........Oh unless you can spend $2k more on another
plane.

The story you have just read is about to be true, once we do not let Chuck
fly at this years NATS. But at least the French FAI rule makers are happy.

Consider a weight change. It does not need to be across the board and for
the life of me I cannot imagine why it needs to align with FAI.  Chuck
will have a 5Kg plane BY THE TIME HE REACHES FAI-and the French can be happy then.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering

"Atwood, Mark" <atwoodm at paragon-inc.com>