A Mount is NOT a Mount

Rusty Dose rdose at wi.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 03:41:26 AKST 2005

I have (2) identically prepared Focus airplanes by Dave Guerin.  Dave used the the VibraDamp 4/c isolators (#ISO4-1100) and hardware with the standard rails which are too short replaced with custom aluminum rails made by my fellow pattern friend Claude Weimer.  A Gator nose ring is used also.  As you may know, the Focus has a 1/8" plywood engine support structure which benefits from reinforcing using carbon fiber mat.

Family opportunities, have limited my flying time so one plane has only 125 - 150 flights and the other one has 40 or so.  I fly FAI.  The set-up is not as clean as a Hyde mount but was the best solution a few years ago.

As a side note, I purchased new Focus II wings, stabs, fins, rudders, carbon gears, PBG wing tubes, NMP batteries, NMP headers and have reduced the weight over 14 ounces over the Focus I components!  I will be using Webra 1.60 with MC carbs with the aforementioned mount system.

Rusty Dose
NSRCA #1052
South Eastern Wisconsin