M77 spray

Tom Simes nsrca at shinymetalass.com
Thu Feb 3 13:58:50 AKST 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:42:42 -0900
Tom Simes <nsrca at shinymetalass.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:31:18 -0500
> "Tom Hinton" <tph1 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > Anyone use M77 contact cement spray to attach balsa to foam anymore>
> > I was thinking of using it to attach the foam turtledeck on my
> > Widebody? Any thoughts? thanks, Tom
>
> Be very careful with that!  3M has changed the solvent in that
> adhesive and it is no longer foam safe for many types of foam.  If you
> want to use it, make sure you test on some scap first.  Personally I
> haven't used anything but the polyurethane glues for gluing foam since
> I found out how easy they are to work with and what a good bond they
> make.

Just in case you haven't used the polyurethane glue before, I've been
following the method described by Wayne Galligan and it works great:

http://lists.f3a.us/mailman/htdig/nsrca-discussion/2004-October/022424.html

The glue foams as it cures which drives it into the interstitial spaces
of the materials being glued creating a very strong bond.  Because of
the foaming, you can and should be very sparing in the application of
the glue - the light sheen is all you need.  Unlike contact cement, you
can reposition to get things "just so" if necessary.

--
Tom

       |  ,  |               Tom Simes
        --|--                NSRCA 3830