Composite-ARF Impact question

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Wed Feb 2 09:40:41 AKST 2005

Yeah, and it flies very nicely too!

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer
Kodeos Communications
111 Corporate Blvd.
South Plainfield, N.J. 07080
(908) 222-7817 phone
(908) 222-2392 fax
d.pappas at kodeos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: discussion-request at nsrca.org [mailto:discussion-request at nsrca.org]On Behalf Of DaveL322 at comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 1:26 PM
To: discussion at nsrca.org
Subject: Re: Composite-ARF Impact question

I always loved the offerings from Hanson (Dick and his son Gy) and probably have more flights and success with Hanson stuff than anything else.  The EMC (now available, I think, from Rich Lee) was way ahead of its time, and with a few simple mods will still fly with the current day stuff.

In almost 20 years of pattern flying, 2004 was the first time my planes were not of US origin.  I am currently flying a pair of Vivats - full composite (FG / balsa / FG) with substantial amounts of prefab.  I closely inspected 2 before shelling out the dough for mine, and have closely inspected several others since.  The entire structure is extremely rigid and the flying weight is 9.75 lbs.  The flight performance and craftsmanship are the best I've seen.  It is obviously a very well refined design and has proven to be very durable (500 flights and counting).  It isn't cheap, but for the level of quality, I wouldn't expect it to be cheap.  Independant of cost, I think the value of the plane is good.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
DaveL322 at comcast.net

Mark there are several threads that have quite a following on RCU about another pitfall of the IMPACT. The egg shell fuselage, unsupported, is prone to compression buckles and broken tails. I have written quite a bit on this subject, allerting all who will listen.

The fix is fairly simple at the factory but much more difficult in the finished part that you get in the kit.

Yes, CARF did a reat job reducing the price of a nice looking airplane, but the quality has suffered, in my opinion

MattK