Excelleron Trim and CG

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Wed Feb 2 05:44:12 AKST 2005

Hi Nat, and Hi Terry,
My Excelleron weighs spot on 9 pounds with the Magnum 120 AR and 15-10.
The CG is at 7-1/16" and the total incidence (with the 1/16" positive I added) is 3/32" as compared to the stab.
The plane carried UP elevator trim, until I added the incidence, and the CG had to be about 7-1/4" back to almost get rid of the trim.
I didn't like how the airplane flew, there: it was just marginally tail-heavy and the "lock" in wind suffered.
The plane also hinted at climbing out of a 45 climb or dive.
The snaps are lovely, and high rate elevator will still cause the plane to "bury" in the snap, so it ain't nose-heavy.
The vertical UP line is straight, and the DOWN line only pulls to the canopy after a full 4 Mississippi count.
That's plenty good for anything in the schedule.
The knife edges are dead straight, and there are no electronics used. That was part of my review criteria: entry-level with non-fancy radios.
The plane knife edge loops beautifully, and when you wail on the rudder in the last 1/4 loop, it does proverse roll a small bit,
but this doesn't show at the kind of rudder throw necessary for point rolls.
I think this is the easiest knife edge looping ship I've had my hands on.
I am contemplating pushing the CG even farther forward, to see if I can get it to trim properly.
I think a beginner will benefit from a freight train ... I mean slightly nose-heavy plane.
Regards,
    Dean