Composite-ARF Impact question

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Tue Feb 1 20:23:55 AKST 2005

OK guys, all this talk has gotten me to take another look at my new Impact.
Here's what I see.

1) I cannot detect any twist in the fin. Perhaps someone can tell me how to
look for this, but I can't see it.

2) If I measure for straightness in the fuse it is not perfectly straight.
It's hard to tell if the left side is just a little fuller (puffy) or if it
is bent. Whatever the case, it's not perfectly symmetrical. I did notice
when mounting the gear that the *inside* of one half was slightly flatter
than the other side.  Specifics of my measurements: I lined up the fuse on
graph paper and measured for straightness by setting the nose on the center
line and the tail on the center line. I then took measurements periodically
along fuse checking the distance from the center line (using a square). At
the most extreme point the left side is wider by about 1/4". To double check
I then centered the mid-point of the fuse and the nose. This resulted in the
rudder being about 1/4" off to the right.

I know it's preferable to have a perfectly straight fuse, but considering
the overall size of the fuse, how well I've seen other Impacts fly, (and the
fact that I already own it), I'm not going to worry about. With all the
right thrust discussions held lately I'm sure I can get it trimmed to fly
fine. Also, given it's a molded fuse I'm sure that Jason's was the same and
he did pretty well with his ;-)

BTW, I did the same measurements on both of my Aries fuses prior to building
and they were extremely straight. Knowing all the work Lance and Gray put
into the Symphony I'm sure it's dead on as well.

Keith Black