Put equity back into snap judging

brianyemail-nsrca at yahoo.com brianyemail-nsrca at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 16:28:21 AKDT 2005

A zeroed maneuver in masters generally looses the round, I sure hate it when something as hard to judge as a snap takes me out.

Grow Pattern <pattern4u at comcast.net> wrote:
OK, fasten your seat belts....

If you have 100 pilots in a contest you finish up with a first and a last
place.
If you have 100 pilots take a test you finish up with a first and a last
place.
If you have 100 pilots judge a snap I will submit that you will get a
similar sliding scale of skill and ability and knowledge applied to that
snap.

This discussion shows a wide range of understanding, and in some cases lack
of or fixed understanding, of what we need to judge as regards a snap. The
problem is that we are trying to get a 100 pilots to all - see as well -
absorb movement as well - decide as well - count etc .............As well
each other.

People, IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

We keep putting the pressure on the pilot to become, and I quote, "A better
judge". We have had years and years of this direction. It has not worked
thus far.

I see the root of the failure as the inevitable pattern pilot trait of
nit-picking a definition to death. Just read these threads. Month after
month, year after year... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Possible answers;

1. If you can't guarantee to judge it correctly take it out of AMA
schedules. It is grossly unfair to penalize pilots this way.
(Some one get Ron VP some smelling salts because he may not recover from my
agreeing with him!)

2. Loosen the definitions. Its a bloody model folks. The speed of how fast
it will snap is way beyond most human eyes. It is not a full-size plane nor
a 140" IMAC plane. It snaps very quickly indeed. Blink and you miss it.

3. Use converse guidelines like;
- If it does not roll as slow as a normal roll
- If it does not roll around a tube like in a barrel roll
- If it does not perform an axial roll

then you can concentrate on the achievables such as a heading loss, wing
rotation start and stop position errors.

This will free you up to focus on the 99.67% of the rest of the maneuver
elements in a schedule. [99.67% is the number of lines, corners, rolls,
spins etc. in the Masters schedule that are not snaps].

Only give a zero if it is clearly not a snap using criteria in #3

Do the same for all pilots and in Satalino-speak "Have a nice(r) day!"

Back to the real world....and the 21st Century!!

Eric.