more on the cause of "adverse roll couple"

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Wed Aug 10 13:25:16 AKDT 2005

Hi Nat,
Just a further complication, that if I remember the original E-mail, may be useful.
If your plane pitches to the belly AND rolls adverse with rudder, or pitches to the canopy AND rolls proverse, then it is possible and likely that you have only one problem, and not two. If you fix the pitching, then the roll may be reduced, or if you stop the roll, the pitching may be reduced. In general, if a rudder to aileron couple fixes things, you will have less interesting behavior with rudder corrections in looping maneuvers. This is because most designs have an angle-of-attack sensitive yaw-to-roll couple. That knowledge can save your plane if you ever take off with the ailerons disconnected: slow down, get the nose up, and turn with the rudder. At high AOA, the plane will roll like a high wing trainer (well sorta!)

Regards,
    Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer