DZ 160 New Start up problem

adriancwong at earthlink.net adriancwong at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 6 21:51:51 AKDT 2005

Ron,

Both the 140 & 160 DZ are direction injection. Meaning, as soon as you turn the prop, fuel shoots into the engine.

Make sure not to prime the engine with the starter at all, not even for your first flight, don't even use you hand to flick it a few times. Just connect the glow driver and starter and it will start. Also, if you are running a fuel line outside the fuse, I will suggest using a fuel shut off clamp sold by Heliproz to keep the fuel from getting into the engine after shut down.

On my second start and on, I first activate the kill switch on the Tx, with the shut off clamp remained closed. After the engine started, I release the kill switch right away, and release the shut off clamp afterwards, no more back firing.

Recently, I have purchased a time delay glow driver from Japan. It gives me 3 to 5 seconds before the glow plug will lights up after connection, problem solved.

Good luck,

Adrian