Judging Performance

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Fri Aug 5 04:30:59 AKDT 2005

"I absolutely agree that feedback from judge to pilot is great - after the round. Im always willing to talk about a flight with a pilot after I judge his round. I often go so far as to make little memory jogger squiggles on my scratch pad so I'll remember who did what and why that maneuver was a '5'. (didn't do it at the Nats- FAI was a little too intense...) "

Rick

Combining some ideas from this discussion might yield useful training tools. In a format similar to the "Sportsman Pattern Primers", we might do judge practice with pilot feedback. Folks take turns flying and judging with a debriefing of pilot and judges after each flight. Judges hone and calibrates their skills and the pilot gets critical feedback. We've done this when training club judges in the past and it worked well.

However, I suggest that judge feedback to pilots shouldn't occur during competition - even after a round is over. Consider the situation where two pilots are flying equally well and are in contention for a win (maybe the Nats), but one pilot consistently makes a particular error which will ensure second place. A judge points out the fault, the pilot corrects it, and wins. Is this fair to the pilot who didn't receive feedback? I believe that a judges job during competition is to assess the appropriate downgrades for errors on a maneuver by maneuver basis - not to provide coaching to the competitors.

Earl