Performance Judging? (back to original discussion)

Ed Deaver divesplat at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 17:37:41 AKDT 2005

The interesting thing to this thought is what happened to me last year at the Nats.

On my 1.5 snap, the nose didn't pitch(not quite sure why but the plane didn't stall as it were)  I was given a 0, 7, 8.

OK, so the zero was correct, and I concurr, however the average or initial assessment is the zero judge missed the call, when in  fact the 7/8 judges missed the call.

This is why, averaging judges to rate them, or any system is fallable because there is no reference as to who is correct.  If we had a scale that weighed to a micro gram 5 lbs, and could calibrate any scale to that, it would be different but we don't.

As stated, judges are human, and just because someone gives a low score doesn't make them incorrect.

ed

Rick Wallace <rickwallace45 at hotmail.com> wrote:
(Back to Jim's original line of discussion...)

How does one compare judging results when (as in most local contests) there are only 2 judges per round/class? When there's a spread, which judge is right? In a world where the judges oare often the 'best available' rather than ones who meet a standard, is there any value in such a comparison?

For that matter, when there are three judges and one's score is significantly different from another, do we assume (with or without knowing the identities of the judges concerned) that the one 'different' judge is wrong? If so, why?

Is it more or less significant when one judge's score is different than the others' in ONE maneuver rather than across the entire flight?

Eric has made great points in his points on this topic - especially about the fact that two judges will focus on different aspects of a maneuver, but frequently give very similar scores - for overtly different reasons.

FWIW, some personal info on scores at the recent Nats (from a first year Masters Guy who finished REAL close to the bottom of the pack - and deserved to)
- One of my rounds had a spread across the three judges of more than 110 points. (Maybe some non-zero 'mercy' scores here? who knows?)
- As a first time FAI Finals judge, one of the fnalists volunteered the information that his score spread for the round I judged was 11 or 12 points across 5 judges...

I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of comparing the scores of a panel of judges -- without knowing their background, flying experience, judging experience, etc - and assuming that the 'low' guy is automatically wrong.  -- especially if this practice is institutionalized, and is recorded as 'facts' in the files of some or all of the judges concerned.

It seems that recollections of my college statistics courses reminds me that this line of thinking will result not in recognition of the best absolute standard, but rather in creating a de facto standard of mediocrity...

My gut says that the 'right' answer, unfortunately, is
   - A REAL set of standards about what the rules say and mean - and Don seems well on the way to getting that done
   - An effective classroom instruction plan that makes those rules clear (and again, Don has done a great job in his 2005 Judge Certification packages for students and instructors)
   - A REAL judge teaching program -that would involve practical exercise / live judging followed by discussion after each maneuver (lots of fuel burned there!). This is the part that seems to need the most progress.

Understand the pain of driving hundreds of miles and not getting reasonable feedback on one's flights... especially in a world where we, the pilots, are judging each others' performance...

just my $.02...
Rick