Performance Judging? Trial Balloon

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 18:19:20 AKDT 2005

Has anyone considered that there might be a correlation to skill and ability.

Out of 100 contestants we get a winners in the order of 1st  to 100th.

In the field of judging we may be experiencing the same sliding scale of ability.

Then there is what looks the same but is not. A few years ago for a square loop with 1/2 rolls a friend and I scored 5 each for the same pilot. His 5 deductions and my 5 deductions were not for the same errors. He saw a square loop with unequal lines etc. I saw a square loop with unequal corners and badly position rolls etc. I saw a loop that was not centered and leaning in, He saw up and down lines that were not straight up and down.

If we added the two sets of deductions the pilot would have been SOL. Lots of explanations such as a square can look wider at the top if leaning in.

The main point is that we only have a few seconds to assess what we saw, evaluate four corners for equal and ascertain which one two three or four were not the same. Similarly for lines, subtract the running errors such as roll positions, roll rates, rolls starting and stopping correctly etc.

As regards spins and snaps - I no longer second guess what I am given. Without a camera to replay the maneuver you can't argue the point.

Eric.