Performance Judging? Trial Balloon

BUDDYonRC at aol.com BUDDYonRC at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 16:29:06 AKDT 2005

In a message dated 8/2/2005 5:37:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
vanputte at cox.net writes:

On  Aug 2, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Don Ramsey wrote:

> We have heard from a  lot of Advanced pilots about the judging on that
> line.  I would  like some feed back from Masters and FAI on the prelims
> judges.   My very limited survey seems to indicated that those lines
> had very  good judging.  I had a lot of 5s & 6s and some good scores
>  but overall my scores, in my opinion, were spot on.  I'm only asking
> about the prelims.

I had some weird scores on some  flights.  On the first round, my scores
had a 94 point raw score  spread (one judge was consistently high).  The
second round had only  a 14.5 point spread (These judge hung together;
the worst being an  8.0/6.0/7.0 on the 1/2 Inside Loop w/ 2/4 Roll Out).
The third  round had only a 28.5 point spread (this despite a
9.5/9.0/6.5 on the 1/2  Outside Loop w/ 2/4 Pt Roll Out).  The fourth
round had a zero spread  (an elevator half came unhooked from the clevis
and I landed before  completing the first airborne maneuver)!  The fifth
round had a 63  point spread, including a 3.0/8.0/6.0 on the Vertical
Square 8.  The  sixth round had only a 33.5 point spread, however, it
included 6.0/9.0/8.0  on the 1/2 Inside Loop w/ 2/4 Roll Out,
6.5/8.0/8.5 Top Hat w/ 3/4 Roll  Up, 1/4 Roll Dn and a 6.0/8.0/6.5 on
the 1/2 Sq Loop w/ 1/2 Roll  Out.

I can accept up to 1.5 point spread from three judges on a  maneuver,
but more than that means somebody screwed up.

Ron Van  Putte

Ron
An example in advanced goes like this for my rounds.
Scores with two or more points different on the same  manuver.       high low
total dirrerence
Round-1------9 random not the same judge  in each case
        89
Round-2------2
                            30
Round-3------6
                           63
Round-4------3
                            46
Round-5------5
                           35
Round-6------3
                           41
Round 3 includes 1/2 square with 2 of 4   scores 0---6----7 and a  3-1/2 turn
spin that scored 0-0-6-1/2
Round 1- includes a spin that scored 8-1/2-0-7
I might add that there were no obvious cases where any judge was scoreing
real high or low.
And in my case I most likely ended up placeing about where I should have
give or take plus or minus 5 places.
Buddy