Performance Judging? Trial Balloon

Atwood, Mark atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Tue Aug 2 16:02:41 AKDT 2005

Hey Don,

I put up some pretty horrific FAI flights and got some equally horrific scores :-)  The only comment I would have would be the point variance on any ONE maneuver (and I'm not talking about snapping or spin maneuvers where you often see a big variance.)

In particular I had a 4/8 - slow roll opposite that received 9, 9, 5   from the three judges.  Now in my opinion...getting a 9 on something says "Hey...that was a REALLY nice maneuver"...whether is a hard core technical judge OR an impression judge...   A five is quite the opposite...   So getting two 9's and a 5 makes you want to ask "which one of you saw me crash??"      I still have my tear sheets...  so some other examples...

5,6,9  (Loop with ½ roll)

6, 10, 8 (reverse four point  -- Similar issue here...seeing a 10 and a 6??  I doubt I flew a 10...but hard to believe that one saw a perfect maneuver compared to a 6)

8,0,8 (Half reverse Cuban 8 with full roll....NO clue what would zero that...lol...my guess was I was partly out of the box)

I have a few other "wide" variances...but these were the ones that screamed somethings wrong.

All in all I felt I was judged very fairly compared to my "peers" though...I'm sure everyone had some similar bugaboos.  In fact, one judge made the effort to go to the field house to correct a zero on a landing after I landed dead stick AFTER completing the full sequence (I died in the spin) and completed the required landing sequence.

-Mark