Performance Judging? Trial Balloon

Terry Hemmis themmis at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 2 12:53:04 AKDT 2005

Hi Ron,

I have a healthy respect for those judges who can watch the whole sequence, knowing
it by heart, and do not look down at all to write scores down. I don't think that is the norm
though.

Some incorrect maneuvers go unnoticed by some judges, and there are pilots who
know something was not spotted by a judge, which was to the pilot's benefit  : - )

Going back to the educational part of this discussion list, teaching all pilots what each
maneuver should look like and the types of downgrades to give, is most of the battle
for all of the sequences.

Have a good one,

Terry

Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net> wrote:

On Aug 2, 2005, at 11:33 AM, Terry Hemmis wrote:

> It is quite true that judging has it's issues. One I noticed is that
> there are not always
> scribes for judging flights in the upper levels. This means that for
> some judges, they
> look down a lot to see what the next maneuver may be or to write the
> score...if a
> judge doesn't know what they are looking for [a simple example is a 2
> of 4 not a half
> roll, they could miss it].  This can be a blessing for the pilot...or
> problematic for the
> other pilots.
>
> If it is known who the judges are, then perhaps their effort at
> scoring would be much more
> accurate...

I am one of those judges who doesn't use a scribe. I know what the
maneuver schedule is and don't need to look. I always use a legal size
pad on a long clipboard. I never look down at the pad during a flight.
After the flight is over, I transcribe the scores onto the scoresheet.
It takes a couple of flights to get used to putting the scores on the
pad without wandering down the pad, but the scores are still legible
even if that happens. Some judges who don't do as I do say they can't
do it. I just tell than it just means that I'm better than they are.

BTW, many of us have been using this technique for many years and I was
gratified that there were many more judges doing it at this year's Nats
than in previous years.

Ron Van Putte