Nats Scoring

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Aug 1 12:53:13 AKDT 2005

At first, reading about the lack of judges at the
Nats, kinda makes me want to go there and volunteer to
be a judge even if I don't fly.

Then I read all the negative things about how the
judging sucked, makes NOT want to go even if I want to
fly.  The last thing I want to do is to sit in the
chair and worry about the 30 contestants I am judging
bitching about the scores that I give them.

What is the real problem here? As someone said, judges
are human. That includes getting tired from trying to
maintain the same judging standard from the first to
the last flight of a round. The sky changes. The sun
may get in their faces. They may have cataracts and
can't see the same bobbles that the other judges can
see. And, yes, they may end up judging someone who is
their friend (which may or MAY NOT be good for that
friend!).

Don't get me wrong, I have complained about scores in
the past. Did not do anybody any good. Wish I had
never complained. Yes, there may be room for
improvement.

I guess the bottom line is this -- if you don't like
being judged by humans, pick a different sport.
Otherwise, work to improve it, but don't EVER expect
it to be perfect. And thank the judges - ALWAYS - even
if your flight stunk. In that case, apologize to the
judges for WASTING THEIR TIME! :-)

Bob R.

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.