Judges

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Mon Aug 1 10:22:12 AKDT 2005

Buddy,
            "You called me a trouble maker at the Nat's"  - Did I do that??? Certainly not meant in any nasty way, I assure you.

I actually want people to stir things up. If you let a pot of stew just sit there the bottom burns and the top never gets cooked.

I have held about every opinion expressed in this thread. I have changed my mind many times as my education continued in the judging arena.

I have not typed a lot of responses because a box-cutter and I had an exchange where the box cutter won ;-(

A few years ago we sent a bunch of heavyweight judges to site-4.  (Earl Haury is heavier than I am - and he's in Texas so he can't visit me tonight either). Boy! did we upset some pilots with accurate judging. Not sure they wanted us back. Same thing in FAI or Masters.

I used Earl's name because his raw scores and mine have tracked pretty closely. I score a bit higher than him these days because I am one CIAM memo ahead of him - just teasing Earl :-)

The Nats this year had the same standard of pilot judges that it gets every year. All certified. As you said that needs some improvement - I totally agree. Dave said that if he had 10 full time experienced judges he could improve things a lot. All I have to do is find them... any thoughts on that one. Would two really good judges be better than three not so good and who decides who they are?

I think that I can say that about half of the pilots did two session or more, some even did three. All scores were included in all classes in all AMA rounds. The AMA rules book is totally silent on scoring standards. Anyone want to get into that one?

We will be putting a whole bunch of info on eth scoring system, the matrix, the finals calculations  etc in the next K-Factor. I figure that the more we publish the more we will get understanding and increase the chances of coming up with a better mouse trap.

We also want to leave a bunch of better and more accurate documentation for those who succeed us.

Regards,

Eric.