Judges

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Mon Aug 1 06:50:10 AKDT 2005

There are two overlapping issues being discussed. Judge competency and score
accounting at the Nats, this note is about judges and another will address
Nats scoring.

I contend that judge competency is better than it's ever been. Primarily two
things account for that, the NSRCA certification program and pilot-judges.
Our cert program is designed to ensure that everyone is exposed to the
proper judging techniques and the current rules. Using pilot-judges provides
an indication that the judges are interested in the details of the game. As
with anything, there are some outliers and they need to be addressed -
especially at the Nats.

Could the system be better? You bet! Unfortunately, the cert program doesn't
require (it's suggested) actual flight scoring and review. Nor is there any
ranking of ability. Nor can we simply base a person's judging talent on the
class they're flying (that works both ways in that a FAI pilot may not be a
competent judge while an Intermediate flier may be). We really need some
sort of ranking process.

We've migrated from one end of the judge spectrum to the other in that the
old USPJA ranked judges by experience, but didn't quantify skills nor have a
good training program / requirement. (Then there was the overlap into Scale,
with associated judges - but that's another story.) If our cert program
would have been integrated into the USPJA we might actually still have been
able to go to a Nats to compete only. This group had many fine non-pilot
judges, and just as now, some who had difficulty. Most of us believed that
things would improve with certified pilot-judges, and it has. But at a the
price of doing it ourselves while still being subject to errant scores,
probably OK to good at local meets - but really poor at a Nats. Hmmm - "be
careful what you wish for" seems to apply here.

Given our current system doesn't have the resources to "calibrate" or "rate"
everyone with actual flight judging, things aren't going to change
dramatically any time soon. We'll keep plugging away to try and educate as
best we can and hope that information can be applied during judging
activity.

Earl

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.