Webra 145 pump pressure ?

Lance Van Nostrand patterndude at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 19:01:30 AKDT 2005

Paul,
The prop you have is not, in my opinion, a light load.  The 145 is a bored
out 120 long stroke, which has made it closer to an over square design.  I
had some conversations about this with Lynn Osborn back when he was
servicing the engines and he told me to prop it to get the rpms close to
8000 and the engine will be much happier.  I went with the 17x10 and was
quite happy.
   Your setup really looks pretty good and it proves that one can find a
sweet spot at different places - there is no one right way to do this.  I
would anticipate that as the weather heats up you'll want the full 15% or
maybe 20.

I can understand your concern about break in and using castor.  However,
I'll just pass on that when I was buying and running these engines the
factory advice was all synthetic.  I never used castor and didn't see that
it caused any problems.  Now that I'm servicing Mintors and have a close
relationship with the factory we've had a lot of discussions on oils, fuels
and such.  Castor has some known properties to lacquer parts.  This is bad
for our engines for several reasons.  But this happens after extended use.
You might want to consider weaning from it when you think its broken in -
assuming you feel strongly about keeping it now.  PowerMaster has a higher %
of their castor/syn blend as castor than, say, Magnum. The slight brown
residue is therefore nothing to be concerned with because the extra castor
can come out brown even when the engine is properly tuned.  There's really
no harm in backing out the pump screw 1/8 turn to see if its a bit better.
Down in your area of Texas (mine too) there is a Ritches Brew and they have
fuels with different % of the oil being castor.  I actually found their
synthetic pylon blend worked well in my Webras, but I've tried it in the
Mintors and it works OK but not as well as Powermaster or Magnum or some
other fuels.
   Yes, I'll be at Waco.  Looking forward to the judging recertification
Saturday night.  Should give you and I a few more interesting scenarios to
discuss. I'll have my protoge' (a newbie) and my friend Terry Brox has been
in Austin and will be there too.  I think the whole Dallas gang will be
there, except for one dimwit that got the date screwed up with a soccer
tourney.  Wish your contest were at the beginning of May.......
--Lance