YS Longevity and Fuel $$$ Part 2

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Wed Sep 29 11:33:22 AKDT 2004

Just reading, I didn't get the same impression--seems like Troy is stating
fact through his experience.  Mine has been that you can eventually make
friends with about any engine if you are willing to find out what it takes
to keep them running with acceptable performance and reliability.  I don't
think running 30-40% nitro is going to make for longevity--as they say in
the performance business--ain't no substitute for cubes--so maybe a little
larger engine with less nitro is at least part of the answer--2 or 4C.

 Prop selection has always been an issue.  This has been a big trial and
error thing with me--trying to find the prop that 'hooks-up' with the
air/engine/and airplane/drag combination that 'screws' through the air--that
perfect combo that's almost like magic when it's working--feels connected up
and down.  Wasn't too difficult to get it with the 60 sized stuff--but on
the 170 I've been looking for it much of this year and it looks like the
engine is capable of it whereas I never felt the 145 was.  If a guy could
find that balance on 15-20%, I think many of the issues would go away.

Richard S.