YS Longevity and Fuel $$$ Part 2

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Sep 29 10:06:30 AKDT 2004

Mike,  I don't fly YS and I don't fly FAI. I fly advanced just like you do.
I do understand however what some of the benefits of the YS are, for example
spool up time and linear throttle response.  FAI has maneuvers where they
need immediate and linear throttle response.  Even the new masters pattern
has at least one maneuver where instant throttle response is very
beneficial, this maneuver is the inverted avalanche with the snap at the
bottom. Immediately after the snap you need throttle response and there's
more of a delay with the 2C than a 4C, this is a disadvantage. Can you work
around this? Sure, but at the top levels of FAI these guys are SO close to
each other scoring wise that most just can't accept any disadvantage.

You asked if any of the top pilots are sponsored by OS? I know one that was,
he flew the OS 140EFI. Excellent engine when it's running, but continually
had problems with the fuel injectors. He's now flying YS. So why didn't he
just switch to the OS 140RX? After all he was sponsored by OS, I'm sure they
would have paid for his 140RX. I'm guessing it's because he cares about
being on top of the podium not about saving a few bucks by the insignificant
cost of an engine.

I see a great deal of venom going in Troy's direction and I really don't
understand why. My impression of Troy's emails were to try and share his
knowledge of YS engines to help others. I think it's awesome that he shares
knowledge that he's picked up along the way, this makes it easier for those
who follow. Have you ever sent Troy private email asking a question? I have
and got an unbelievably detailed and lengthy response. I barely even know
Troy but he was kind enough to spend his time helping me help me out when I
was having problems. Out of the top ten US FAI pilots we have very few that
are willing to spend their time answering questions on this list. Why try
and alienate those who are willing to help? Which engine each person runs is
their own choice, but let's not bash someone just because they suggest
equipment you don't like can work if used in a particular way.

What other engine has instant throttle response? Electric. Dave Lockhart, is
correct, that's the way things are going. The European Championships were
won this year by electric, furthermore, of the top ten finishers five flew
electric.

Keith Black