Engines - long

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Wed Sep 29 08:48:05 AKDT 2004

John, please consider the OS 160 with either a Perry pump or the topper tank
arrangement I and many others have discussed at length. You don't need to use
a tuned pipe with this engine, but if you do, a Mueller RTC header and Macs
1092 muffled tuned pipe, are a good ticket. This is about as inexpensive yet
reliable and consistent set-up as you can get. And I am still on the original
bearings in my first set-up, after almost three years and about 200 flights in my
12 pound Enigma design

This is a good set-up and turns a 17x13 std with authority, or a variety of
other props including the 15.5x12 4 blade. I haven't tried it myself but I
believe the Dave Lockhart 3 blade would be a good match also.

But you can certainly use the muffler that comes with it. Just a little
heavier than some of the rigs that so many have complained about. FWIW

MattK

Thanks for the details. I was coming to the same conclusions, but it was
going to take a long time. I came to Pattern when YS was a rising star and I
have never made any sort of peace with tuned pipes. The result is that I
have been more comfortable flying the YS 4S's. I don't think the engine is
going to make much difference in my flying, there are other factors limiting
me. Also, I have more of them than I care to admit!

Here is where I stand:
   Electric is just more $$$ than I want to spend.

DZ's are a separate animal... out of my range by both availability and cost.
Besides, I think that is    where most of the YS problems live. The cost of
fuel is second only to the electrics.

2 Strokes seem to be fragile (esp bearings), parts sometimes elusive or even
unobtainable. They also seem to be more pricey than they need be with their
simplicity. The biggest negative to me is the matter of dealing with the
fuel mixture/tuned pipe problems. I am beginning to weaken though.

When you say YS 4 stroke you have consider the model.
The 120SF is really inadequate for a full size 2m airplane.
The 120AC's are all but gone and so are the parts..besides being inadequate
today.
The 120SC was proof that YS could & would produce junk.
The 140L is a shaker with a tendency toward tempremental.
The 140 Sport/FZ is great IF it has enough guts to fly your aiprlane in your
class. I find it a push in Advanced with a Focus and a 16-10 Apc on 20%
nitro.

I don't think we have a good engine choice today, at least not for guys like
me.

My current plan is to drop back to the Prophecy/140 combination. At least it
is affordable and reliable to me.

John Ferrell