YS Goof

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Tue Sep 28 22:43:06 AKDT 2004

The DZ can run without the Crankshaft ring. Just like any of the other YS motors. As you know the difference in the 140FZ-Sport and the 140FZ-Limited is the crankshaft ring.

What this ring does for you is gives more supercharger effect. as it reduces the volume compressed on the down stroke. The result of the missing ring on the DZ is like the others is a loss in power. However the 140DZ tends to run a little smoother with the ring removed.

As for the case being damaged, I would not recommend using JB weld on internal parts of the motor. I have seen external things fixed but I would say don't risk buying more parts by doing the JB weld fix.

Also for a new case you will need to install cam gear bearings and this are not easy to get out of the old case. I made a tool to do it, and its works well but in reality its much easier to just buy a new set of bearings and install them in the new case.

My advice to you Ed is to send the motor back to YS Performance and let them fix it up. This will result in the smallest possible parts bill.

OK now for the trick on the crankshaft ring.....The end gap in the ring needs to point up into the "jug" opening. Lube it up good with oil...Mobile 1, Castor, or the Ultra Oil that Performance Specialties sells. ...Ok Lube the ring and the case.

Pull the crank in by hand until the ring is against the case. Then use a flat screw driver. Prefer a large blunt end....And carefully press one side down and hold with your finger, then press slightly on the other side. This is done while a little tension on the crank pulls it into place. It sounds like you need 5 hands but in reality its just a little tricky and works out well for a single person with 2 normal hands.

Troy