[SPAM] Re: Webra bearing life report

brianyemail-nsrca at yahoo.com brianyemail-nsrca at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 06:06:26 AKDT 2004

This is anecdotal but when I was running a carbon fiber muffler my bearings seamed to last longer. Now Im using an aluminum tuned pipe.

Basically I want stainless to avoid the afterrun procedure, or part of it.

Keith Black <tkeithb at comcast.net> wrote:
Matt, I've read your comments before on getting good bearing life and I've never understood why there is such a huge discrepancy. I'm really careful about not running the engine too lean, I run it as rich as I can without having it cough on mid range throttle-up.

I've also spoken to many others that have very short bearing life, indeed this is what prompted Brian to ask Boca to produce some SS bearings.

I would be very interested in pin-pointing why there is such a dramatic difference. Differences I can think of would include tuning (rich vs. lean), after-run procedures, fuel, climate, storage, and I've also heard that frequency of flying will affect bearing life.

Here's my parameters:

1. I run the engine as rich as possible while still having good throttle response in all ranges.

2. I always run dry and use after-run oil. I've used different ones, currently using about six drops of the oil from Magnum fuel. I've used more in the past but using too much pools in the head and kills glow plugs (more didn't seem to make a difference in bearing life anyways).

3. I run Magnum 10% or 15% depending on time of the year.

4. I'm in north Texas so climate is quite hot in the summers and often very humid.

5. I store the plane in my garage so it's exposed to heat/cold and humidity as the weather changes.

6. I normally fly a couple of times a week, many times only once a week, sometimes less frequently.

Keith Black