Removing bearing shields

rickwallace45 rickwallace45 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 25 15:38:13 AKDT 2004

As I understand it there's a major difference between SEALED - as in rubber
coated steel seals - -and shielded - as in steel shields that don't provide
any real barrier to liquids etc passing thru.

I wouldn't remove the seals from sealed bearings, routinely pull at least
one shield from shielded ones before installing them.