Judging Controversy - Part 3

tony at radiosouthrc.com tony at radiosouthrc.com
Mon Sep 13 05:38:00 AKDT 2004

Frank:

Just to clear everything up, I had a long discussion with AMA President Dave
Brown about this issue on Friday.

The actual selection of the judge is done by the Contest management of the
World Championships.  The judge list that is submitted to FAI is the
responsibility of the AMA President.  Back during my first term as NSRCA
President, I spoke with Dave Brown about allowing NSRCA to help AMA come up
with a list to submit to FAI.  We did use Derek's information from several
contests, but found that we needed to go a little further.

When Eric Henderson was elected President, he asked me to continue taking
care of the FAI/World Championships issues, including judging nominations to
AMA.

Several lists were submitted to AMA, and they were passed on to the FAI.  In
2003, the judges were selected by the contest management prior to a newer
list being submitted to FAI, hence Mike Dunphy was still the top listed
judge, and was selected.

Bob Skinner of the FAI is very interested in the USA sending a judge several
times, in order to gain some "seniority" at the event.  He feels that the
USA judges are always excellent, and can help him to "guide" others with
must less experience at a WC.  You see, many of the judges at a WC have very
limited experience.  Due to our large amount of contests, a judge resume
from the USA is always very good.

Dave has agreed to use the listing that NSRCA is providing him to send to
the FAI.  It is then up to the contest management to decide who they pick.
Our list is sent in the order of ranking, from first to fifth.  Of course,
they can pick anyone on the list, but would usually take the top ranked
judge.  In this case, it is Don Ramsey.  However, should they decide to take
any of the other four, that is strictly their decision and we have no right
to question it.

However, the change now is that the FAI would like to use a judge several
times for several WC, so Dave has decided that whoever is picked by the
Contest Management for the 2005 World Champs, will automatically be on the
list for the 2007 WC as well, no matter how that judge places in the USA
Judge evaluation program.  The only way that judge will be removed from the
FAI listing is due to poor performance at a World Championships.

This means that whoever is picked will be one of the five names submitted
for the 2007 WC, and the other four will come from the NSRCA judge
evaluation system we are currently using.

Tony Stillman
Radio South
3702 N. Pace Blvd.
Pensacola, FL 32505