Judging Controversy - Part 3

Joe Lachowski jlachow at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 16:42:02 AKDT 2004

I know that who finally is the WC judge is not really the greatest concern
to each of us, as long as his performance reflects well on us all. But Bob
Noll has the resume as Team Selection, TOC (including unknowns) and NATS
Finals judging experience that is required. He also has developed an
International reputation as a detail builder and accomplished NATS Manager.
Plus Bob has the sales and diplomatic skills required for the job. And he is
one of the top five NSRCA recommendations for 2007.

But remember, Bob is apparently the one person of the "NSRCA Five" with whom
the AMA President is the most comfortable as I have been told that the AMA
President has selected Bob to judge at the 2005 WC. I am sure that all five
of our recommendations would do a fine job. I personally respect each of
them, would be proud of any of them and wish they all could serve. But Bob
was already chosen back in 2003, based in part upon the NSRCA's
recommendations.

In summary, the American WC judge also serves as the AMA President's
Ambassador to the World's Pattern Community, not just a judge. The AMA's
professionalism, sportsmanship and competence is evaluated by the World
based upon our judge's personal skills and performance. Want proof? When one
country's judge was removed for bias, it was not the individual judge that
was banned from the next WC. No, his ENTIRE COUNTRY was prevented from
sending a judge to the next WC. Because their Ambassador failed in his
responsibilities, the entire country was punished.

A President always gets to select his Ambassadors. Therefore, the final
choice is not up to us and never was. But the AMA respects the NSRCA's
achievements enough that we have now been given a major roll in the
selection process. We have earned that right by being professional in our
dedication to the sport. Let's not lose it by reacting emotionally on this
issue.

Frank Granelli
D-1 VP