European Champs, Alcochete, Portugal 2004 ** Klipped **

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Tue Sep 7 06:58:18 AKDT 2004

On Sep 7, 2004, at 8:57 AM, seefo at san.rr.com wrote:

> Having read a bunch of this thread for awhile now.. I guess I have a
> couple comments (everyone else does.. why not me?)

I am going to comment on a couple of items is Doug Cronkite's e-mail to
clear the air.  RVP

> The comments about Bob Noll representing the USA as the F3A judge in
> 2005
> puzzles me as well. Are you upset that some process isn't being
> followed
> or upset that Bob is going to be a judge? Is he a competent judge?
> Will he
> represent the USA well in this capacity? If yes, then it seems to me he
> shouldn't be the target of this (which is the impression I got).

I personally like Bob Noll.  We have a lot of history together.  I
worked with him when I was the Nats event director and he was a judge.
Then again when I was the NSRCA Nats coordinator and he was he Nats
event director.  Still again at several F3A Team Selection events.  I
drove him to the field every day when we both were judges at the 2003
F3A Team Selection.  This was when he told me that he was to be the
U.S. 2005 WC judge.  I told him that it wasn't right or proper for him
to politic actively with Dave Brown for the job.  I am upset that the
agreed-upon procedure between NSRCA and AMA regarding the list of names
submitted to the organizing committee for the 2005 F3A WC isn't being
followed if Bob has a lock on the U.S. judge position.

> Lastly.. how does this judge rating system work? Just because someone
> gives a score that's pretty close to the average doesn't make him/her
> right. I've been accused more than once of being wrong for giving a
> zero
> when in fact the other judges just missed an error or misapplied the
> downgrades. Giving a score that varies from other judges isn't always
> the
> wrong decision.

This was covered separately in the K-Factor by Don Ramsey, Matt
Kebabjian  and me a few of months back.

Basically, judges are ranked on how their relative placing of pilots
agree with the consensus of all judges and how close their scores for
individual pilots agree with the judge consensus.

Ron Van Putte